Jason Lang Scholarship (Alberta Scholarships Program)
Issued via the Province of Alberta, the Jason Lang Scholarship recognizes and rewards Alberta post-secondary students for their academic achievements and encourages them to continue in their undergraduate or professional program of study.
PLEASE NOTE: You may receive this Scholarship ONCE per academic year.
To be eligible an applicant must:
- Be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible), be an Alberta resident.
To be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
• one parent, or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and be residing in Alberta;
• Alberta is the last place you have lived for 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies;
• Your spouse/partner has maintained permanent residence in Alberta for 12 consecutive months prior to the person attending post-secondary.
- Be currently enrolled full-time (9.0 credit hours) in the second or subsequent year of an undergraduate program at a the University of Lethbridge,
- Have achieved a minimum Grade Point Average of 3.2 on a 4.0 point scale based on a minimum of 24.0 credit hours in the previous fall and spring terms,
- Complete the Jason Lang Application by the deadline indicated in order to be considered for the award.
- Be currently enrolled in classes at the University of Lethbridge. Students enrolled in classes at another institution as part of their uLethbridge degree program will be nominated by the institution where they are currently attending classes.
- If you attended another institution for either or both of the previous fall and spring semesters, you must submit a transcript of your academic record for grades not earned at the University of Lethbridge. This includes students who take courses at another institution as part of their degree program.
Note: A term is defined as a study period of up to 17 weeks in length. Co-op work terms/internships/exchange programs are eligible only if these programs are a mandatory component of the undergraduate or professional program.
Students are not eligible for a Jason Lang Scholarship if they:
- Are enrolled in a one-year certificate program,
- Do not return to a publicly funded post-secondary institution in the fall or winter terms of the next academic year,
- Are recipients of a Louise McKinney Scholarship for the same period of study, or
- Have received the lifetime maximum of three Jason Lang Scholarships.
- Students can apply for both the Jason Lang and Louise McKinney Scholarships; however, they will only be nominated for one or the other.
Students at the University of Lethbridge can apply by first submitting a General Application and then the Jason Lang Scholarship (Alberta Scholarship Program) application.
Students who meet the eligibility criteria are nominated by the Student Awards Office at the Alberta post-secondary institution where they currently attend. If the student has transferred from another publicly funded post-secondary institution, they must attach transcripts to the application showing their academic achievement from the previous year to be considered.
Scholarship cheques are mailed out in December to nominees. Students are responsible to ensure that Alberta Student Aid has the correct mailing address on file (toll free contact: 1-855-606-2096).