Indigenous Careers Award
To receive this award, you must be enrolled in:
- The Fall and/or Spring semesters (a semester is defined as a study period of up to 17 weeks in length).
- A certificate, diploma, applied or bachelor’s degree program.
- At least 60% of a full course load (40% of a full course load if you are a student with a documented permanent disability).
- Have satisfactory academic standing, as determined by the school.
You must also meet all of these eligibility criteria:
- Be a Status Indian/First Nations, Non-Status Indian/First Nations, Métis or Inuit and be able to provide a copy of proof of Indigenous ancestry
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada or have protected person status under:
- Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Be a resident of Alberta. For more on Alberta’s residency requirements, see:
Student Aid Policy: Alberta Student Aid Operational Policy and Procedure Manual
You must also be attending a public post-secondary school or First Nations college in Alberta offering the following high-demand career program bands:
- Health Sciences
- Physical, Natural & Applied Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Technologist Programs
Program/bands may vary according to program requirements at your school. Schools may also establish additional eligibility criteria.
Co-op students, students in brokered programs, and students who are participating in an official exchange may be eligible. Applications will be available at the beginning of Fall semester.